Thursday, May 23, 2013

The Calculus of Friendship- Review

I read this book by Steven Strogatz called The Calculus of Friendship-  What a teacher and student learned about life while corresponding about math. It was ~150 pages and kind of expensive. But totally worth it!!
The two days that I spent in reading that book were a pure bliss. I was so immersed. I was amazed at the elegant proofs in it. The way the student and teacher bonded over letters was something which struck me from within. The book also portrays how the teacher was ever enthusiastic to learn from his student. You might come across these proofs elsewhere, I am sure. But the approach was a smooth transition. Their discussions over letters, how they progressed from math to life, will just leave you thinking for quite some time. 
I could not stop thinking about two of my maths teachers. Before I could tell them how grateful I felt to be their students, they passed away. I could not come to terms with it for long time and tried to find peace. I would just spend days cursing myself. I hope they somehow know how I feel about it. 
If you are a person who loves math, enjoys reading, solving problems in an elegant way, this is THE book I would recommend. If you are from a non math background and happen to read it, please let me know your views.
I would like to thank one of my friends, Prasad, for suggesting this one. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment