Thursday, November 1, 2012

A small effort

As cyclone Nilam(however it is pronounced) hits South India, we were plunged into darkness for almost an hour. And that is when the cribbing began. We crib about our pending work, about how cold it is, about the mess it has created and so on.
The thought of 14 hour power cuts in so many slums left me disturbed. These people live in messy areas all their lives. Well, they might have got used to it. The cold?  The cyclone? Were they prepared? Is it right on our part to sit and crib while enjoying the luxuries of life?
We need to realise our responsibility. 
I feel I am what I am today because of what the society has given me. I feel it is my duty to give back to the society in how many ever ways I can, however small they might be. 
Buy a meal to the old lady on the footpath or give one of your t shirts to that guy near the bus stop. Smile at people or just ask if they need help. Teach a kid something. Well, if you can't come up with ideas, there are hundreds of NGOs waiting for help. Volunteer. Let us be pro active.

1 comment: