Thursday, May 14, 2015

No Plastic Challenge


So I was challenged by my friend projected for 5 days No Plastic Challenge. She shared a sheet with set of rules and stuff.
What is this challenge?
It has been initiated by CTC, Chennai Trekking Club. Here are some more links that will give you relevant information!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3llaLjtFDpo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFSCa8_XW0s&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltR-oz-H6YU

I already avoid plastic as much as possible. I had to think quite a bit to come up with new things. I told my mom about this challenge and the enthu in her was encouraging.
She was telling me about how some decades ago, they would follow a lot of these practices. Composting, minimum usage of plastic, less wasting of stuff. So I just went ahead, observed where was plastic being used in my daily life and here are some instances.

For me, it is not about throwing away all the plastic that I own/use. I wanted to focus on recycling. Have you heard of plastic being used to lay roads? Yes, that happens here in Chennai, thanks to some organizations like CTC!

I hope to continue these practices as it has given me more awareness about the whole issue surrounding plastic. Also, check out this Ocean Confetti video which talks about the dreadful plastics- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVoFeELi_vQ

So, are you going to take up the challenge or sit around throwing plastic, in spite of knowing about the ill effects? Let me know!

P.S:
Here is what I did for 5 days-
Day 1: ‪#‎ChennaiCoastalCleanup‬ ‪#‎NoPlasicChallenge‬ instead of ordering food, went to Andhra Mess and ate in a banana leaf. Avoided plastic. Also cycled to that place.


‪#‎ChennaiCoastalCleanup‬ ‪#‎NoPlasticChallenge‬ 
Day2 - reusing sweet dabbas and shoe dabbas to store my colours set. Instead of buying plastic dabbas use existing cardboard dabbas. Also carried my own water bottle when I went out.




















#‎ChennaiCoastalCleanup‬ ‪#‎NoPlasticChallenge‬ 
Day 3: plastic segregation box at office. Hope to give it to some organization which can recycle. 
And of course I designed my own mug.



Day4 and Day5 #‎chennaicoastalcleanup‬ ‪#‎noplasticchallenge‬- subway in a cloth bag. Using old cartons as book shelf. Paper bag to collect plastic waste at home. Walk or cycle or bus instead of auto or cab.

No comments:

Post a Comment